Friday, January 18, 2013

Our Horse, Rango

Meet my palomino quarter horse Rango. When I was trying to decide on what his name should be , I looked on the web for ideas, but found none that I liked. As I was writing down some of the names that came to mind, I thought about the Dodge Durango that I drive. I removed the D and U from Durango and that's how he got his name. He was purchased from a truck load of colts coming from Nebraska and after changing hands several times, ended up with people who purchased and traded horses for resale.  He was three years old when we purchased him and he is 6 years old this year.
My sister was kind enough to keep him at her house for two years until we could finally get him to our house just last year. I am forever grateful to her for doing that for me. 
We had to clear a wooded area of trees and other debris, have the area graded, have the trees from this area milled and then used the cut wood to build a run in and stall for him, plus put up fencing. My husband and I built the barn by ourselves with over-the-phone guidance and some photos from a friend who has built  a few himself. We are proud of our little barn and the great feeling of accomplishment we have from doing the job ourselves. We never even built a bird house before. I can hardly wait to see the finished project.

We had to clear a wooded area of trees and other debris, have the area graded, have the trees from this area milled and then used the cut wood to build a run in and stall for him, plus put up fencing. My husband and I built the barn by ourselves with over-the-phone guidance and some photos from a friend who has built  a few himself. We are proud of our little barn and the great feeling of accomplishment we have from doing the job ourselves. We never even built a bird house before. This is some of the trees loaded and on the way to the mill.
This is the same site after a lot work removing truck load after truck load of debris.

Can you spot the snake? We actually found him pinned under a smaller tree and removed the tree so he was free to go on his way.
Grading the area has begun.....

Some of the trees cut off our property, milled and ready for a barn building. Any volunteers?

With the grading completed, now it was time to start the frame work.


Side view of the frame posts.

Adding the walls to the run in side of the barn.

It was a slow process for us amateurs, but we are getting there...

Wow! We are so happy with our progress. 

We finally finished our little barn! We are proud of the barn. What a great feeling of accomplishment we have for doing the job ourselves. 


Welcome home, Rango!

A metal star added to the side of the barn.

He seems to enjoy the shelter it provides for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment