Friday, July 19, 2013

Virginia Street Banana Bread ~ A Second Place Winner!

I just love going to the fair to see all of the exhibits. I like to get there as soon as the doors open so I can see everything before flowers start wilting and baked goods start spoiling. Some items spoil so badly, they have to be thrown out. This is a banana bread recipe that I found here ...
http://veronicascornucopia.com/?s=banana+bread 
It won second place!

Virginia Street Banana Bread
1-1/2 cups mashed very ripe bananas
1 tablespoon melted  butter, divided
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulaed sugar plus 1-2 teaspoons divided
1-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted and divided

~ Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
~ Grease a 9x 5-inch loaf pan, set aside.
~ In a large bowl, mix bananas, 1 teaspoon butter, oil, eggs anf vanilla until mixed well
~ In a medium bowl, combine flour sugar, cinnamon, baking soda,and salt. Mix well.
~ Add the flour mixture and mix until just blended.
~ Stir in the toasted nuts, reserving some for the top of the bread.
~ Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
~ Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
~ Remove from oven. Allow bread to cool in the loaf pan for about 10 minutes.
~ Remove bread from pan and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
~ Wrap loaf very well in plastic wrap.
~ The flavor of this bread improves a day after baking.

Recipe Source: Veronica's Cornucopia

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, congrats! I see you got LOTS of ribbons this year. So glad you got a ribbon for this bread too! I entered it and got nothing, but the competition is very stiff in the banana bread category in Kansas. More people enter it than any other, for some reason. Also, the judges seem really fed up with people that grease the whole pan (me) b/c they insist (every year) on their judging papers that only the very bottom should be greased. I think maybe they decided everyone who didn't do it the "right way" didn't deserve a ribbon. They didn't give a single blue ribbon for banana bread last year! Only red and white. It was crazy. Anyway, big congrats to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Veronica! I just had to give the Virginia Street Banana Bread a try after reading your Banana Bread Journey post. I think it would have won a blue ribbon, but my bananas were not as ripe as I like them to be. I really enjoy your blog and especially like reading about your state fair experiences. Your recipes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete