Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Favorite Baked (Crockpot) Beans

I remember when I was younger, my mother gave my sisters and I her overstuffed recipe box and ask us to organize it for her. We would sit for hours rewriting her recipes. I enjoyed looking through them to see what interested me. That began my life long interest in recipes. I really like searching for recipes, especially those that come with a story, like where did the recipe come from and what makes it special?
I enjoy looking through magazines for recipes that I would like to try, cutting them out and gluing them into spiral notebooks or on index cards. This recipe is one of those I kept in one of my notebooks. I have been making it since my oldest daughter Alisha was about 5 years old. They are great for picnic, potlucks and barbecues. I like making mine in a crock pot. I believe the recipe came from a Southern Living magazine, but can not find the recipe on their web site to provide a link.


Favorite Baked Beans
2 slices bacon
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped (was 1/2 cup)
1 (16-oz.) can pork n' beans, undrained
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon Worchestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard 

Cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and place on a paper towel lined plate. Set aside. 

Cut up onion and green pepper, I like to finely chop mine. I need a new camera and better lighting. The onions in this picture look yellow, but they where white sweet onions. The picture below shows the best color.

Using the same pan you used to fry your bacon in, add the onion and green pepper. 

Saute over medium heat until the onion is translucent. Drain and set aside.


Pour the undrained pork n' beans in your crockpot or baking dish. Making sure to remove any pork cubes

Add sauted onion and green pepper mixture, ketchup, brown sugar, Worchestershire sauce and prepared mustard. Mix gently until blended. I heat the beans in my crockpot, on low for about 3-4 hours. Or bake them in a baking dish at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. In the above photo I have used three can of pork n' beans and tripled all other ingredients

Again, not the best picture. My family really enjoys this baked bean recipe.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment