Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Crockpot Chicken and Dressing

I wanted to try this recipe as soon as I found it on Southern Plate. Christy of Southern Plate has a wonderful site, filled with great Southern recipes. Please visit her site and see for yourself. Christy said this recipe is her grandmother's recipe. My family really enjoyed this dressing, and I liked the convenience of cooking it in my crockpot. I also baked my cornbread, and cooked my chicken and hard boiled egg in advance. I liked the addition of chicken and hard boiled egg, that made it deliciously different. It was very moist. No one could resist topping it off with some warm turkey gravy. My husband seemed to especially enjoy it. He took leftovers to work. It was still moist and delicious reheated. This is on my Thanksgiving menu again for next year. Thank you so much Christy, for sharing your grandmother's wonderful recipe!

Crockpot Dressing
2 pans cornbread, round or square
2 hotdog or hamburger buns
2 hard boiled eggs
Stick of butter, melted
4 boneless chicken breast, boil until done ( I used 3, because mine had three in a package)
2 cans cream of chicken soup
2 cans chicken broth
2 tablespoons sage (I used 1-1/2 tablespoons) used 1-1/2 tablespoons)
Frozen or fresh chopped onion, 1 medium onion

~ Crumble cornbread into a large bowl. Tear hotdog or hamburger buns into small pieces and place in bowl with cornbread.
~ Chop eggs.
~ Add to bowl, hard boiled eggs, onion, sage and melted butter.
~ Add one can cream of chicken soup with both cans of chicken broth. Stir well until well combined.
~ In crockpot spread 1/2 can remaining cream of chicken soup. Top with 1/3 dressing. Top dressing with half of chicken, shredded. Repeat with another layer of dressing, remaining chicken and spread other half cream of chicken soup on top. Cover and cook on low 3 to 4 hours.

* Recipe Source: Southern Plate *

No comments:

Post a Comment